Questionable Projects Group
Thursday 5:30pm to 8:30pm
[Code, Play, Eat, Talk, Make, Code]
Sign Up Form
This group is for Teens who are interested in playing with ideas and maybe turning some of them into reality. This might be game development, playing with hardware, robotics, web development and other random science and technology related activities. Running: Thursdays 6pm to 8pm from the Whangarei Club (Rust Ave).
For some the goal is to learn how to make games and code in a relaxed environment with others doing the same thing. For others it is about working together on questionable projects (current examples include, modifying a vending machine to be vend the unexpected; learning Unity; hacked VR headset; developing a water tank sensing/reporting device; adding muscle stimulation to a VR game; building a cloud chamber to visualize ionising radiation; setting up a gameserver etc). We help each other and generally just have fun as we ramp up our skills and play with ideas. Sometimes this is all disaster and confusion, but sometimes it’s brilliant. Both are important.
Kevin coordinates and runs the sessions. We get a pile of pizza or burgers for a shared dinner (plus drinks and fruit) so bring $5-$8.50+. If you would like to join us here is the sign-up form.
Other useful information:
- You do need your own laptop (or lug in a PC).
- We have a shared and typically unhealthy dinner so bringing $10 for that is a good thing. It is normally between $5 and $8. We might try cooking things ourselves this term since we have a kitchen now.
- Fruit and water are available for free feeding.
- Technohackers are the educational groups within the Questionable Research Labs
- If a young person is not collected and we are unable to contact their family by 6:30pm, the police will be notified. It’s never happened but this is just so you know the process.
- We encourage parents with skills or interest to help out and we also focus on peer tutoring and support.
- We are supported by $10/week membership BUT if that is not not affordable, come anyway and just let us know. Do not let money be a barrier, that’s not why we are there. More information can be found on the Membership page.
- For further information please email [email protected]
- We are always on the lookout for sponsorship.