Term 2 Newsletter
Latest Email Newsletter
23 April 2021
April Holidays email
Hello all, A week of holidays to go before the new term, here is what you need to know. This is the most important email of the term and it is a good idea to read to the end
- Next Tuesday “Not Serious” day in the lab between 8 and 5:30.
- Next Wednesday “Serious” day for projects and learning etc
Thursday and Friday the older teens can drop in (casual) if there is work they are doing.
- Mondays 3:15 to 5ish Geek Girls Group
- Tuesdays 3:15 to 5ish Science Group (Biology and Fungi in particular this term)
- Wednesdays 3:15 to 5:30 Robotics
- Thursdays 3:15 to 5ish Coding 6ish to 8:30 Questionable Projects
Fridays 6:30 to 8:30(ish) Game night in the Lab
More info about these on the Groups page
Five One-off Events:
- Book launch in the lab, Sat 1st May at 3pm. This is an open invite. More info here
- Questionable Intent - Our grownups food tech day number 2 on Sat 8th May. We will be making and of course tasting Cheese / Beer / Gin / Cider / Coffee / kombucha / and more. This time it will be in the Lab not the barn. More info here.
- Early July is the Bad Ideas Hackathon - a one day event we will go to in Auckland where the goal is to make the best thing that is completely useless or no one needs. We will have access to the Auckland Uni Makerspace. This is for teens and adults with creativity and a sense of humor. It will be a NZ version of this sort of thing http://www.stupidhackathon.com/ Exact date to be confirmed.
- Late July is KiwiJam - 48hr Game development competition in Auckland. We will travel down with a Teen group again. What clever gamified goodness will emerge this time? https://kiwijam.org/ Exact date to be confirmed.
- GovHack - Aug 20th. This is a full weekend event to create an application that uses public/government data for social good. We will have a Northland Node run from the Lab. https://govhack.org/
- Parents Evening: No date yet but end of May/start of June.
- Other things: To be announced when ideas are more fully formed.
Become a Patron.
Remember it is free to attend any of our weekly groups but become a Patron if you can afford it. Setting up a repeating payment in your online banking is how we do it (for example $10/week, or more, or less). Make it small enough you can set and forget. These regular ongoing payments are essential for keeping us going. Be a Patron!
Account info here. When we do charge extra for events, please do not let the cost be a barrier, there are always sponsored spaces if needed.
T-Shirts: We have an order form and when we have enough requests we will get a batch of our Questionable Research Labs T-Shirts made up. Here is the form.
Facebook: ** Verena has started posting to things to a Facebook group for Questionable Research Labs**
Media/Photos Permissions: If you haven’t already could you please give or decline permission to be included in photos etc. More info and the form here